Postgraduate (Doctoral) studies in history were introduced at Klaipėda University as of 2003, when by Resolution of the Government of the Republic of Lithuania the right was granted to organise the joint school for doctoral (postgraduate) studies in history and confer academic degrees to the Lithuanian Institute of History (Vilnius) together with Klaipėda University. Admission of doctoral students to this institution of doctoral studies lasted until 2010.
By 21 June 2011 Order of Minister of Education and Science of the Republic of Lithuania, the right to conduct doctoral level studies in history in the area of humanities (05H) was granted to Klaipėda University jointly with the Vytautas Magnus University. Admission of doctoral (PhD) students in the area of history to the joint school of doctoral studies of Klaipėda University and the Vytautas Magnus University started in 2011.
The studies in this doctorate institution are regulated by:
- Current version of 11 July 2001 Resolution No. 897 Re Approval of Regulations for Doctoral Studies of the Government of the Republic of Lithuania (last amended on Mau 12, 2010);
- Regulations of the joint school of doctoral studies in history of Klaipėda University and the Vytautas Magnus University approved by Resolution No. 5-26 dated 28 June, 2011, of the Senate of the Vytautas Magnus University and seconded by Resolution No. 11-66 of 23 June, 2011, of the Senate of Klaipėda University.
Doctoral institutions in this school for doctoral studies are represented by the Vytautas Magnus University and Klaipėda University.
The Vytautas Magnus University is deemed as administering university under the Agreement for Doctoral institutions.
The process of doctoral studies is coordinated by the Doctoral Studies Committee composed of the following scholars:
- Prof Dr Jūratė Kiaupienė (VMU), Chairman;
- Prof Dr Vygantas Vareikis (KU), Vice-Chairman;
- Prof Dr hab. Egidijus Aleksandravičius (VMU);
- Dr Daiva Dapkutė (VMU);
- Prof Dr hab. Algirdas Girininkas (KU);
- Doc. Dr Vaida Kamuntavičienė (VMU);
- Doc. Dr Ingė Lukšaitė (KU);
- Dr Rimantas Miknys (KU);
- Doc. Dr Saulius Pivoras (VMU);
- Doc. Dr Silva Pocytė (KU);
- Doc. Dr Jonas Vaičenonis (VMU);
- Prof Dr hab. Vladas Žulkus (KU).